Sunday, June 23, 2013

Boston, Day One

Sample from the clover food truck at SoMA, Boston, MA:
Rosemary French fry from Daniel
(Too oily and salty. Can't taste the rosemary.)
Lunch from The Taco Truck at SoMA, Boston, MA:
Fried catfish taco (gave the last bits to Daniel)
(Good, but too fulfilling. I've also never had fried fish inside my fish tacos before! Different texture than I'm used to, but I kind of like it.)
Churro w/pumpkin sauce (1) from Daniel
(Pumpkin is amazing with almost everything. This needed a bit more nutmeg and cinnamon though.)
 Samples from the When Pigs Fly booth at SoMA, Boston, MA:
Chocolate bread
(Seriously like the non-guilty version of a brownie. Too bad I don't live closer to Boston.)
Apricots, dates & nuts bread
(THE BEST BREAD I'VE EVER TASTED. I THINK I'M IN LOVE. OH MY GOD.)
Samples from the Taza Chocolate booth at SoMA, Boston, MA:
Chipotle chili chocolate sample
(Not hot enough! I like mine with more spice.)
Guajillo chili chocolate sample
Snack at Bao Bao Bakery, Chinatown, Boston, MA:
Honey ginger milk tea w/less sugar (gave some to Winnie & Daniel)
(Refreshing! Not as good as Teado's, but still pretty good. I wish it was more gingery though.)
Snack from Mike's Pastry, North End, Boston, MA:
Florentine ricotta cannoli (shared w/Daniel)
(I don't like cannolis, so I'm glad this one isn't the "typical" cannoli. The florentine cookie definitely enhanced this dessert, but it was still way too rich for me. Can't imagine anyone eating this by themself.)
 Snack from Christina's Homemade Ice Cream, Inman Square, Cambridge, MA:
Anise hyssop sample
(I could somewhat detect the anise, but I don't know what hyssop is and the overall flavour of this ice cream wasn't too impressive. Almost tasted like a smokey cinnamon cream.)
Rose sample
(Somewhat refreshing, but the smell of the ice cream was more powerful than the flavour.)
Mexican hot chocolate & Bailey's Irish Cream
(I was going to get banana cinnamon ice cream, but they ran out so I chose Bailey's. So glad I did, because these two flavours were amazing. And the entire cone was only $3.85! I haven't paid this little for ice cream since I was in middle school! Totally in love.)
Snack from Punjabi Dhaba, Central, Cambridge, MA:
Mango lassi
(I've tasted better, but this lassi was pretty decent!)
Snack:
Prunes from Linh's friends
Snack:
Veggie curry w/rice & special salsa (ate about half)
Snack:
Grapes from Linh

3 comments :

  1. Ohohooh the rose and anise hyssop flavours! I actually got to try them yesterday at a super fancy potluck in Harvard Sq. I loved them, especially the hyssop! I had no idea what it was before either, but apparently its a flower and often used to make tea. Now that you mention it it is reminiscent of cinnamon...but also has this interesting chalky flour-ness to it. Mmmmm...Christina's always has such interesting flavours.

    You would have loved that potluck I went to yesterday. It was a celebration of local businesses in Cambridge, and there was sooo much good food. So many fancy salads (kale+wheat berries+avocado+etc., bulgur with cranberries..), homemade breads, sushi, salmon, roast chicken, quiche, cheeses...And the desserts. Homemade cakes, pies, cookies, brownies...The owner of Toscanini's was there, and he brought over a huge cooler of his ice cream. My golly. What a potluck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina's is so awesome! I love their flavours and how cheap it is!

      Dude, that sounds AMAZING!!! Mmm now I want to go find a salad bar or something. And homemade desserts too?! So jealous! What was the best thing you ate?

      Delete
    2. Yah! Boston's so into the whole homegrown local food scene, and has pretty good ice cream too. Favourite thing at the potluck...hmmm probably the anise hyssop ice cream, haha. It was just so unique and interesting! I also really liked grapenut ice cream from Toscanini's; if you like malty things, grapenuts ice cream would be heaven-sent. Mmmmmmm...

      As you can probably tell, ice cream is probably one of my favourite foods out there!

      Delete