Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sushi Sunday

Lunch Buffet at Yamato Japanese Restaurant - Brighton, Boston, MA:
First round!
Appetizers:
Salted edamame (ate two)
(Michael and Jimmy tried to teach me how to eat this, but the salt just lingers... I can't do it.)
Pork gyoza, veggie gyoza (ate one)
(Not a fan of pan-fried dumplings. The filling was also a bit dry.)
Seaweed salad (ate a chopstick-ful)
(The best appetizer here.)
Miso soup
(Tasted like it came from an instant packet. There's no way tofu chunks can be eight cubic millimetres without them being dried first.)
Tempura (ate all the veggie ones)
(I liked that the veggies weren't mushy and still held their form. The batter was light, but could have been seasoned.)
Calamari (ate one)
(More batter than squid. No flavour.)
Sushi and Makimono Platters:
First round of makimono!
Shrimp, tuna and salmon sushi
White tuna sushi
Flying fish roe and eel
Second round of sushi and makimono!
Some of what I consumed (in addition to the above):
Assorted rolls
(Yes, I did eat several orders worth of avocado and cucumber rolls. I liked the caterpillar rolls too, even though they had eel inside instead of the usual California roll. The tuna was a little disappointing; it tasted like it had just been defrosted.)
White tuna, lean & fatty salmon sushi
(I'm not a big fan of white tuna - or tuna in general - so I did not like this much. The white tuna did have a good texture and tasted fresh though; everyone else at the table seemed to really this sushi too. I took both the lean and fatty salmon sushi not knowing which one I preferred and decided that I like the fatty one. It reminds me of avocado so it was more palatable.)
Eel roll
(I think today is the first time I have ever consumed eel. It's not terrible and I would eat a bowl of rice with cooked eel. I think it needs some cucumber and less salt though.)
Assorted rolls
(Not a fan of the shrimp tempura rolls, which I found out were called "dragon rolls" here.)
Spicy tuna hand roll (ate one)
(Not a fan. It's too mushy for me and I thought it would be thinly sliced tuna with rice - basically what a makimono would be but in a conical shape. Nope. This was mashed tuna with a strange mayo-esque sauce. I was hungry enough to not care, but I would never eat this again.)

Dragon roll (shared w/Michael)
(Still hungry... also misordered because I hate tempura rolls. I need to read the menu more carefully.)
Study Snacks:
Trail mix
(Evidently, I did not do the buffet correctly because I am famished.)
Cocoa krispies, apple jacks (both w/almond milk)
(Cereal that I would never eat unless starved. The cocoa krispies weren't too bad though.)
Nutter Butters (shared w/Jenny), dry roasted almond (ate one)
(Those almonds were disgusting. Don't eat them unless you like garlic flavoured MSG.)
1/2 banana w/Nilla wafers & vanilla pudding
(Getting desperate because I don't like pudding.)
Raisins (2)
Late Night Nibble:
Lemoncello almonds from Caitlin
(Came back to my room a little after midnight and planned on going to sleep except I ended up talking to Caitlin for an hour. I was crying of hunger so she gave me some lemoncello almonds. I don't like white chocolate and these were really sweet. I think a lemon flavoured dark chocolate coating would have been better.)

No comments :

Post a Comment