Sunday, March 30, 2014

Amsterdam, Day 2

Went to the Keukenhof garden today with Kelly! Lots and lots of flowers, especially tulips - which are Kelly's favourites.

Breakfast: 
Apple (2)
Snack from a waffle vendor around Museumplein, Amsterdam, Holland:
Forkful of Kelly's waffle
(Too sweet.)
Snack:
Corn dinner rolls
Snack:
Apple tart (gave the crust to Kelly)
Sample from a gift shop in the Keukenhof Garden:
Stroopwafel
(Essentially a thin waffle-shaped biscuit with caramel in between, but it's super sweet. I'm glad I never bought one because this small sample was more than enough.) 
 Snack from The Pancake Corner, Amsterdam, Holland:
Pancake w/mozzarella, tomato & pesto (shared w/Kelly)
(This was the best topping option for us picky-eaters, but our expectations and reality didn't quite mesh together. We expected this to taste like a pizza but forgot that the "crust" was a pancake - meaning that it was going to be softer and much more soggy. It didn't taste bad per se, but took awhile to get used to. I think it would have tasted better if we had kept pizza and pancake separate entities. )
Snack from Dutch Homemade, Amsterdam, Holland:
Yogurt with framboos (+sample of pistachio, unpictured)
(I quite liked the tartness of this ice cream, but the name was misleading. Framboos means raspberry, but the swirl tasted more like a weird berry-infused chocolate.)
Ate the ice cream w/the krentenbollen
(Apparently the Dutch quite like their krentenbollen, which is a raisin and blackcurrant bread roll, with cheese. I think I prefer it with ice cream.)
Kelly's cookie ice cream
Snack from Winkel 43, Amsterdam, Holland:
Dutch apple pie (gave the crust to Kelly)
(I love, love apple pie. So naturally, I had to try Dutch apple pie, and from the eatery with "the best apple pie in the entire world". At first I was going to skip it, because I didn't feel up to eating any more sweets but Kelly convinced me to and I'm really glad she did. Best apple pie I've had so far. The chunky, aromatic filling was by-far the best I've ever had. I should buy that by the tons and freeze it for oatmeal topping, apple pie fillings and just everyday eatings. The cinnamon was strong and the sweet apples potent, which matched my criteria perfectly. I hate sugary fillings masked by citrus, which most apple pies tend to have. Is it so hard to have apples taste like apples? Now here's where the declaration gets tricky. This crust wasn't the traditional American apple pie crust but rather cookie-esque. Most people judge apple pies by their crust and filling, but I usually don't care for the crust. While I admit the crust was good in terms of flavour and texture, I didn't enjoy it. There was almost too much flavour and it was much too sweet. Without the apple chunks, it really did resemble a cinnamon spiced cookie.)
Sample from Old Amsterdam Cheese, Amsterdam, Holland:
Sample of Gouda cheese
Bite of Kelly's kaasbroodje 
(A kaasbroodje is basically a puff-pastry with cheese inside, but I think this was more of a pastry than puff pastry. Kelly calls it the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich, but we both thought there was more sandwich than cheese.)
Snack:
Apple (ate one),  1/2 Dutch raisin & currant bread roll

No comments :

Post a Comment