Sunday, March 23, 2014

Paris, Jour 2

Another food-filled day!

Breakfast:
Baguette (ate about half)
(Mmmm, still delicious after a night.)
1/2 apple
1/2 kiwifruit
(I ate the kiwifruit before realising that I took a photo of Claire eating the other half instead of just the fruit.)
 Snack from Gauthier (in 5ème), Paris, France:
Pain au chocolat 
(Definitely not the best I've had. Decent amount of chocolate, but the pastry fell flat. The outside should be a bit more crispy but at least the pastry didn't taste eggy.)
Snack from Au P'tit Grec (in 5ème), Paris, France:
Galette P'tit Grec
Crêpe w/grilled aubergine, tomatoes, cheese, salad & grilled onions (shared w/Claire)
(I hate onions, but everything else about this crêpe was delicious! Mmm I love grilled aubergine and normally I'm not a big fan of cheese, but the cheese and aubergine worked well. Definitely one of my favourite meals in Paris thus far. And it's a great bargain as well - less than seven euros for a crêpe as big as your head.)
Picnic under the Eiffel Tower with Claire:
Brioche, pain aux figues, tomates séchées, baguette, pommes, clémentine, chèvre aux herbes, Comté
Brioche, fig bread, sundried tomatoes, baguette, apple, clementine, goat cheese rolled in herbs, Comte cheese
(My Parisian dream come true! The weather was absolutely horrible, but it stopped raining long enough for me and Claire to have a cute little picnic. Everything was absolutely delicious and we devoured everything, except for the apple. The chèvre turned out to be surprisingly good; I don't know the herbs/spices the fromagerie rolled the cheese in but that's probably now my new favourite soft cheese. And don't even get me started on that brioche. Let's just say everything pictured -except for the uneaten apple- was drool-worthy.)

*Note:
Brioche from Gauthier (in 5ème), Paris, France
Tomates séchées from Delizius (in 5ème), Paris, France
Chèvre aux herbes et Comté from Androuet (in 5ème), Paris, France

Snacks from Sadaharu Aoki (in 6ème), Paris, France:
Wasabi macaron (shared w/Claire)
(My first Parisian macaron! I really enjoyed the lightly crunchy exterior and soft cookie. The wasabi flavour was also really refreshing since I'm not a big fan of how sweet macarons are. It wasn't overpowering, but definitely present enough. I highly recommend this.)
Croissant mâtcha aux amandes 
Matcha green tea almond croissant (shared w/Claire)
(I have an almond croissant addiction. It's terrible, really. This is my first almond croissant in Paris! Although it's not a traditional one, it's still definitely on my top list. The layers in this croissant were gorgeous and I loved how the flavours were distributed. The matcha also cut off the sweetness of the marzipan, which is a major plus because I don't like overly sweet things. But the best part about this is that the marzipan on top was not over-baked! It still resembled marzipan, albeit a bit crunchier, but it didn't turn into a pseudo-cake thing!)
Snack from Berthillon (in 4ème), Paris, France:
Orange sanguine, café et pain d'épice
Blood orange sorbet, coffee ice cream & gingerbread ice cream (shared w/Claire)
(I've eaten a lot of ice cream in my day, but seriously, this blood orange flavour takes the prize for best sorbet.  I have never tasted a better sorbet; the texture was icy but extremely smooth and almost creamy - that's how smooth it was. But the potent blood orange citrus flavour! Gorgeous work of art. If you're around Paris, go here and get this flavour. The coffee ice cream was also amazing; the flavour was really strong but the bitter taste wasn't present at all! One of my all-time favourite coffee ice cream makers is now Berthillon. Claire's favourite was the gingerbread though. I liked the spices and enjoyed the little gingerbread cookie bits, but I found it too sweet overall.)
Snack from L'As Du Fallafel (in 4ème), Paris, France:
Falafel (shared w/Claire)
(I thought it was a bit too salty so asked for more spicy sauce to cover up the saltiness... only to realise that the spicy sauce was the salty sauce! Sad tastebuds. I'm also not used to eating fried falafel balls because most places now bake them. But I enjoyed it; the added aubergine chunks were a pleasant and delicious surprise and the pita bread was extremely soft and pillowy. If I could decrease the amount of sauce and substitute baked falafels for fried, this would be absolutely perfect.)
Snack at Breizh Café (in 4ème), Paris, France:
Galette du miel, fromage et salade 
Buckwheat crêpe w/honey, cheese & salad (shared w/Claire)
(Claire is a force of nature! She somehow got us into Breizh when they said that they had no more openings left. The majority of dishes had weird meat on them, like ham and sausage, so I was hoping I could just get a plain cheese crêpe. Kind of sad but Claire somehow found this on the menu and while we both thought the combination sounded weird, it absolutely works! Sweet honey with slightly salty cheese on a buttery crêpe... mmm. Not something I would eat a lot of, but I quite enjoyed the flavours.)
Crêpe Suzette
Crêpe w/carmelized butter sugar sauce, orange juice, orange quarters & flambée Grand Marnier (shared w/Claire)
(My first flambée crêpe! Well, first dessert crêpe really. I actually just wanted this for the flame and mildly wished I had gotten something else and just told them to douse it in alcohol for the flame. It was very alcoholic and I think both Claire and I got mildly buzzed from eating this. I liked it, but the alcohol eventually got to be a bit much. I did spread a bit of the cheese from the other crêpe onto this one and surprisingly, the flavour and texture combination worked! The creaminess of the cheese added some texture to the crêpe, and the subtlely sweet and salty cheese mellowed out the bitter alcohol taste.)

No comments :

Post a Comment