Friday, November 14, 2014

Pindar Field Dinner!

Emma and I are going to the Pindar Field dinner tonight, but electronic devices are frowned upon. I'm so used to taking pictures of everything I eat that I actually went on Google to find a miniature spy camera. Who have I become?!

Breakfast:
Assorted cereal w/hemp seeds, banana slices, pb & rice milk
(Went to breakfast early today, so I decided to try all the things I normally don't make time to try. I ended up only eating the banana slices and pb after a few bites of the cereal. Rice milk gets overwhelming quickly.)
Cappuccino chocolate chip muffin (ate two bites)
(Not enough coffee flavour.)
Cinnamon raisin bagel w/pb & banana slices (ate about half)
Lunch:
Veggie hummus wrap (ate half)
Emma's Belated Birthday Snack:
Several bites of this chocolate mousse tart (from the Black Sheep, Amherst, MA)
(Really good, but I have yet to eat any disappointing desserts from this place so I'm not surprised. Rich, decadent chocolate atop a crumbly, buttery shortbread base made for a scrumptious pairing. Loved how the bitterness of the chocolate cut down the buttery-ness of the shortbread.)
Pindar Field Student Dinner at the Lord Jeffrey Inn, Amherst, MA:
The menu, although what I actually ate was different.
I didn't eat any of the "amusements" and had butternut squash ravioli w/cream sauce, the same salad on the menu, vegetable wellington and fresh berries. If the guy I sat next to ever emails me the photos I took, then I can post the entree and dessert. Otherwise this menu is all I have.

Thoughts on the food:
Butternut squash ravioli - I hate cream sauces and had to scrape it off. The pasta was dry and the filling to wrapping ratio was too small for my liking. For the few bites that had the sauce, all I could taste was that cream although the sweetness of the squash did come through. Wasn't a fan. 

Green salad - I don't like dressing on my salads and I hate, hate, hate blue cheese. Tried to eat around both of these because I do enjoy grapes, candied walnuts and greens.  A big drawback so far is my inability to drink wine, because the wine pairings are supposed to really complement the dishes. I'll never know if that white wine cut down the fat from the walnuts. 

Vegetable wellington - Mediocre. The puff pastry was good regarding texture, but rather bland for the vegetables. I sort of felt like I was eating high-class Val roasted vegetables and tomato sauce, which should not have been the quality of Lord Jeff's food.

Fresh berries - Still angry at myself for putting down that I was "vegan". Since I'm so particular about my dairy, I thought I would make their life easier by just saying I'm vegan. They gave me "vegetarian" affair - as evidenced by the first several courses - and didn't remember I was "vegan" until it mattered. That chocolate cake looked so good! Everyone at my table legitimately moaned after their first bite. Oh well, at least the fresh berries were good. Can't go wrong with that.

No comments :

Post a Comment