Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Working at the Book Mill

As a non-humanities major, whenever I can work in a cafe-esque setting, I will take it. There's something about being surrounded by the smell of baked goods, brewed coffee, light chatter and like-minded strangers that just thrills me. And no, drab libraries with the same characteristics do not count.

Breakfast:
Cinnamon raisin bagel half w/pb, cinnamon, cayenne pepper & banana slices
Lunch at the Lady Killigrew Cafe, Montague, MA:
Sip of Caitlin's hot cocoa topped w/maple whipped cream
Coffee topped w/maple whipped cream
(The lady saw me taking pictures of Caitlin's beverage and thought that I really wanted whipped cream too. I didn't really, but this homemade maple-flavoured whipped cream is good! I scraped most of it off and gave it to Claire, but the residue lent a smoky flavour to my coffee. Pleasant surprise.)
Apple, cheese & marinated brown rice
Caitlin's grilled Nutella & pb sandwich, Claire's bread board w/apple, cheese & curried chicken, warm brown rice salad
(Such a beautiful place and setting! Caitlin seemed to like her panini and Claire sounded like she enjoyed her platter. I liked that they placed all the brown rice on the bottom, because the greens on top were fresher and not wilted from the heat. Although there was a lot of dressing, it was light enough so I was never overwhelmed. Very refreshing and could also be a summer salad. Toward the end, the amount of red onions and scallions did overwhelm me though.)
The brown rice is finally unearthed!
From Claire's perspective
(This is a very warm and rustic place. If I lived in the middle of the woods, I'd want my home to give off a similar vibe.)
Sample at Trader Joe's, Amherst, MA:
Hot apple cider, apple pie
Snack in the car:
Some ginger, almond & cashew granola
(This granola is going to be the death of me.)
Samples at Whole Foods, Amherst, MA:
Cracker w/brie & jam
(Quite tasty. Jam was a bit too strong.)
Some medium soft cheese
Cracker w/cranberry walnut goat cheese
(My favourite out of all the cheeses I sampled. Light, fruity and nutty - great combination. I guess I don't like sharp cheeses, unless there's a specific dish that calls for it.)
Some hard cheese
Catamount Hills cheese w/cranberry horseradish sauce
(Liked this one also, but I think it was just the sauce. Sweet with a kick of spice.)
Pumpkin crisp
(Would have totally bought this had it not been over seven bucks. Ridiculous.)
Dinner:
Broccoli, baby carrots, chickpeas, cucumber slices
Snack:
Granola, corn puffs, banana slices, cinnamon & almond milk
Late night film nibbles:
Random assortment of munchies (only ate the corn puffs, one potato chip, some cereal & green tea kit kat)
(Because buttered popcorn is like, so totally overrated.)
[I really wanted to say that in one of those stereotypical Valley Girl voices for fun. In actuality, I really do dislike buttered popcorn.]

No comments :

Post a Comment