Thursday, July 17, 2014

Exploring Philly with Kevin! [Part One]

I've lived here for almost a month but the only time I "see" Philly is when I'm doing field work; otherwise I'm in my room or taking somewhat similar routes to/from the office.

So Kevin and I are walking around "Center City" and soaking in that Philly vibe today (while gorging on as much food as we can handle) before I have to work.

Breakfast from Beiler's Bakery in Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia, PA:
Apple fritter (shared w/Kevin)
(Still delicious. You cannot go wrong with apple and cinnamon.)
Blueberry fritter (shared w/Kevin)
(My personal favourite doughnut here, even though apple fritters are what they're known for. This is lighter, juicier and fluffier. I also think it's less sweet, but that may be due to the berries.)
Sample from some market stall in Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia, PA:
Sip of Kevin's root beer
(Flavour was robust but the carbonation wasn't there.)
Snack from Four Seasons Juice Bar in Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia, PA:
Carrot, kale, spinach & ginger juice
 Kevin's breakfast from Dutch Eating Place in Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia, PA:
Scrapple & egg sandwich
(Didn't try this, but scrapple is made from pork and bread crumbs so I guess it's like a healthier fried version of spam. Kevin said it was a very heavy breakfast.)
Snack from Bassetts Ice Cream in Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia, PA:
Guatemalan Ripple: coffee ice cream w/mocha fudge ripple & coffee-filled chocolate bits (shared w/Kevin)
(Very heavy and creamy but oh so delicious. You can also never go wrong with a coffee-based flavour; I really enjoyed the little chocolate bits.)
Snack at Blackbird Pizzeria, Philadelphia, PA:
Tofu & pineapple vegan pizza (shared w/Kevin)
(The only all-vegan pizzeria in Philly! I enjoyed the toppings but the crust/dough could be improved. It was rather thin and overbaked, almost to the point of burnt. It was a decent slice of pizza, but nothing too memorable.)
Snack:
Lavender kombucha
Sample from Sweet Freedom Bakery, Philadelphia, PA:
Kevin's "fauxtess" cupcake (ate one bite)
(The vanilla filling was rather lacking; it just tasted like a sugary filling. Not enough vanilla extract or however they infused the flavour. The chocolate, however, was very potent and only die-hard chocolate fans would be able to eat the entirety of this cupcake and grin afterward. I was also glad to discover that this cake was moist; this is a dairy-free, casein-free, gluten-free, corn-free, etc. bakery and sometimes vegan/"healthy bakeries" get a rep for having dry desserts. This wasn't the case for this cupcake!)
Sample at Trader Joe's, Philadelphia, PA:
Cracker w/tomato-based topping & cheese
Snack:
Vanilla soy ice cream sandwich (2)
(Childhood favourite! The soy here was very much present, which wasn't a bad thing for me. I rather liked the vanilla soy flavour combination.)
Dinner:
Celery w/hummus, quinoa black bean chips w/guacamole
(Delicious. Guac is always relevant in my life.)
Quinoa black bean chips w/guacamole

No comments :

Post a Comment