Saturday, July 06, 2013

06 July 2013

Early breakfast while waiting in line for Cronuts:
Grapes
Sample from Dominique Ansel Bakery, SoHo, NYC, NY:
Madeline
(Less buttery and more lemony than most madelines I've had. This was still warm, mmm.)
Breakfast at Dominique Ansel Bakery, SoHo, NYC, NY:
Chai tea macaron (shared w/Ben, Kelly & Daniel)
(More like spiced chocolate and I didn't like how "poofy" the macaron cookie was. It was good though.)
Dominique's Kouign Amann/ "DKA" (shared mostly w/Ben, gave pieces to Kelly & Daniel)
(Like a croissant except the inside was tougher. Still flakey and layered, but chewier and more sturdy. It was so good dipped in the cronut's blackberry sauce! I also liked how this wasn't very sweet.)
Blackberry cronut (shared w/Ben)
(Mmm. I really liked this flavour! I didn't like the sprinkle of sugar on the outside, but everything else was great. I don't even know how to describe the texture. It's fried and has a hole, making it look like a donut but that's where the resemblance ends. Then the inside is layered, like a crepe cake of sorts with the texture of a croissant, but the layering is the only resemblance to a croissant. The texture of the inside isn't flakey enough to be like a croissant, but it isn't "heavy"  or chewy enough to be like the DKA's either.  And the crunchiness as a result of the frying further adds to the cronut's hybridness. I thought it was really good, although I don't think I would call it the best thing I've ever eaten; I'm a bit perplexed by the "complexities" of it and I think that's preventing me from liking it more.)
Snack at Chobani, SoHo, NYC, NY:
Blueberry + Power: plain Chobani w/light agave nectar, blueberries, chia seeds, hemp seeds & walnuts (shared w/Kelly)
(THERE'S A CHOBANI BAR?! WHAT. There's two other flavours here that I really want to try!)
Snack at François Payard Bakery, SoHo, NYC, NY:
Sample of pistachio macaron (shared w/Kelly)
(Not bad, but tasted a bit artificial.)
Sample of coffee macaron (shared w/Kelly)
(Strong flavour, but a bit sweet.)
Pistachio raspberry macaron ice cream sandwich (shared w/Kelly)
(Not the best brekkie, but good. Better once it thawed a bit but I didn't like the sorbet to ice cream ratio. There should have been more ice cream because the raspberry sorbet is really strong. Almost off-putting at times. The cookie to ice cream ratio wasn't bad though.)
Samples from Hershey's, Times Square, NYC, NY:
Milk & dark chocolate kisses (threw away the milk)
Late lunch:
Mixed greens salad w/edamame & corn

Pineapples, grapes, honeydew, cantaloupe (shared all w/Kelly)

Veggie split pea soup w/pepper
Snack from François Payard Bakery, SoHo, NYC, NY:
Raspberry lychee macaron (2, shared both w/Kelly & Ben)
(The lychee sauce or whatever is too sweet! Tasted like almost artificial lychee. The texture was great, but I wasn't too keen on the flavour. The raspberry and lychee ratios are off. Kelly really enjoyed this one though.)
Passion fruit macaron (shared w/Ben & Kelly)
(Whoa, the passion fruit flavour is so strong! Instead of the light, tarty yet sweet passion fruit flavour I was expecting, the flavour was tarty and bitter. I think they added a bit too much passion fruit and forgot how acidic it was.)
Snack from Hungarian Pastry Shop, Morningside Heights, NYC, NY:
A bit of Kelly's almond horn
(Oh my god, this is always amazing.)
Snack at Levain Bakery, Harlem, NYC, NY:
Sip of Kevin's cherry seltzer
(Not really a fan.)
Chocolate chip walnut cookie (shared w/Kelly, Ben & Kevin)
(Mmm goooey. Reminds me of D.P. Dough's cookies but less oily and there's nuts. Really enjoyed this. I think I'll have to get some ice cream and make a pizookie out of this later.)
Kelly's chocolate chocolate chip cookie (ate about half)
(Ooh, also gooey and yummy. A bit too sweet and overwhelming at times, but delicious.)
Dinner at The Hummus Place, Upper West Side, NYC, NY:
*Shared everything w/Ben, Kelly & Kevin
Whole wheat & regular pita bread
(Super soft and pillowy!)
Falafels
(Pretty good falafels, but I think the ground chickpeas (or fava beans, or combination of the two) was sometimes a bit too grounded.  It fell apart pretty easily, but I really enjoyed the gritty texture.)
Roasted eggplant
(Yum. I thought it was perfectly roasted.)
Stuffed grape leaves
(I normally love stuffed grape leaves, but I wasn't too keen on the flavours of this one.)
Tahini hummus
(Super creamy! All the hummus were already creamy, but the tahini sauce just brought the creaminess to a whole new level. So amazing.)
Mushroom hummus
(I didn't eat the mushrooms, but the hummus was good! I'm assuming it's the same hummus as the others.)
Fava hummus
(Also delicious! I thought the fava beans gave the hummus a bit of Southwestern flair. One of my favourites.)
Masabacha hummus
(Mmm. Chickpeas galore. Also good, but chickpeas on chickpeas essentually just tasted like chickpeas.)
The entire hummus platter!
(Aw, Marie, I kept wishing I could send you some! We definitely should make a NYC trip during our senior year!)
Kadaif: bird's nest pastry topped w/vanilla infused ricotta cheese, Halva shreds & honey date sauce
(Oh my god, this is amazing. Slightly fried noodles of some sort topped with creamy yet light cheese and the perfect amount of syrup? Perfect! I loved how the pastry was crunchy and dissolvablly soft at the same time. God this was so good!)

3 comments :

  1. What an exciting post! You guys got the fabled cronut, and the DKA...mmmmmm....funnily, I feel that the ones Daniel brought over had their properties swapped from your descriptions! Our cronut was sturdy, slightly chewy, and not as creamy, but our kouign amann was so nice and crunchily caramelized on the outside but soft and buttery in the inside! I didn't get to try them till the next day, though, which according to Dominique Ansel's website is a big no-no. Comparatively, though, the DKA definitely aged better than the cronut.

    The pistachio raspberry macaron ice cream sandwich looks a bit like a sandwich with a HUGE THICK chunk of ham.

    I'm glad to hear that you enjoy When Pigs Fly so much! I piggy-backed on Daniel's purchase and got a special priced chocolate bread pudding, which was awesome too =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got to try the cronut as well! Daniel told me you guys tried to re-bake the cronut and DKA or something, but it didn't work out. Yeah, I have a slight inclination toward the DKA even though I really enjoyed this month's cronut flavour.

      Ooooh that sounds so good! I'm so jealous of your proximity to that bakery!

      Delete
  2. Oh man see this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/nolanfeeney/2013/07/19/cronut-craze-attracts-advertisers-black-market/

    Cronut craze indeed!

    ReplyDelete