Thursday, July 04, 2013

Happy Independence Day!

Witnessed Joey "Jaws" Chestnut setting a new hot dog eating record (69 dogs in 10 minutes!!!) and Sonya Thomas keep her place with 36 and 3/4 dogs!

Breakfast at Tom's, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, NYC, NY:
*Shared the pancakes mostly w/Ben and gave some to Asmaa
*packaged the leftovers and shared them w/Ben & Kevin throughout the afternoon
Coffee w/a bit of milk (2), water
(Isn't this quaint?)
Forkful of Kevin's French toast (featuring Kevin himself)
(I prefer fluffier French toast.)
Syrup, mango (?) flavoured butter (didn't eat), cinnamon flavoured butter, berry (?) flavoured butter (didn't eat)
(I don't like butter, but my fellow eaters told me they were quite good. We all agreed that they would taste better on regular pancakes though.)
Harvest pancake: sweet corn & cranberries
(Basically your typical pancake with add-ins. Still tasted great though and I loved the texture contrasts. Packaged about half of this for the leftover box.)
Pumpkin walnut pancake
(I love pumpkin and nuts! Super light and fluffy with notes of cinnamon. Yumm. One of my favourites. Packaged about a quarter of this for the leftover box.)
Sweet potato pancake
(Haven't been to a diner with good sweet potato pancakes yet since the pancakes are always too sweet or the flavour is lacking. The texture of this pancake was great, but I felt like the sweet potato flavour was masked by the spices.)
Ben's supreme pancake: blueberries, mango & walnut
(Ooh I liked the different add-ins. Light and refreshing with a crunch. Yum. Packaged about half of this for the leftover box.)
Ben's Danish pancake: bluebluerries, lemon & ricotta cheese (can't remember if it also had parmeasan cheese or not)
(Weird, but very light. I think the cheese made the pancake even lighter. Slightly refreshing as well. Packaged about half of this for the leftover box.)
Ben's apple cinnamon pancake
(Oh god. Apple cinnamon is a lethal combination. These were amazing. I love apples. I love cinnamon. So good. I don't think these were packaged for the leftover box.)
Asmaa's chocolate chip pancake (ate three forkfuls)
(Super chocolatey. Asmaa ended up giving this to Kevin.)
Asmaa's apple walnut pancake (had a forkful)
(Pretty good! If this was apple cinnamon walnut, I think I would have just stolen her pancake.)
Asmaa's cranberry pancake
(Eh. I think this should have been labelled as craisin pancake. Not a fan of just dried fruit in my pancake. Packaged about half or more of this pancake for the leftover box.)
 Sample while walking:
Sip of Kevin's gatorade
 Snack at Ample Hills Creamery, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, NYC, NY:
Sample of bourbon st. ice cream (+Mexican hot chocolate, not pictured)
(The bourbon was very subtle, which was nice since it was sweltering outside. Liked the pecan bits too. The chili in the Mexican hot chocolate was a but underwhelming; the undertone was there but it was more of a good chocolate ice cream.)
Salted crack caramel, strawberries & cream, pistachio brittle & bourbon st. ice creams (shared all w/Ben)
(Haven't had a good strawberry ice cream in awhile! I love strawberry ice cream, but I don't usually order it because there's so many other flavours and few parlours make fresh strawberry ice cream. I liked how light the bourbon ice cream was and how all the flavours, except for strawberry, had some kind of crunchy addition to them.)
Snack at Sky Ice, Park Slope, Brooklyn, NYC, NY:
Sample of durian ice cream
(Oh god, I forgot how much I don't like durian. In small amounts I can stand it, so this was the perfect amount. But my god, I can't think of anyone who would actively crave this ice cream. If I liked durian, I would have loved this though. Very strong flavour with an amazing creamy texture. It was almost like eating the actual fruit without the stringy parts!)
Thai tea ice cream (shared w/Ben)
(Not very creamy and on the icy side, but super light and delicious. I love Thai tea! This was so refreshing. Also, the scoop looks amazing next to that little pot of magenta flowers.)
Dinner at Grimaldi's, Dumbo, Brooklyn, NYC, NY:
Margherita pizza (shared w/Ben)
(Waited for about 45 minutes in line outside and 30 minutes at the table for this! It's amazing how much fresh basil can change the taste of pizza. Enjoyed the fresh mozzarella as well, but felt like their sauce could use some sage or some other herb. It was a bit lacking. The dough was slightly chewy and nicely baked, but it got to be a bit sweet at some points. Overall, the pizza was pretty delicious but I prefer Bleecker's, even though their basil isn't as good.)
Closer look at a slice. Ate the slices w/crushed red pepper flakes (not pictured).
 Sample at the Fairway Market, Harlem, NYC, NY:
Piece of bread w/balsamic vinegar
(I LOVE THIS MARKET. LOVE LOVE LOVE. IT'S AMAZING. SPIRITS-SENT.)
 Fourth of July "Picnic":
Watermelon, blueberries, siggi's orange ginger yogurt (shared all w/Ben)
(Now this is my kind of meal! Some of my all-time favourite foods, yummm. Perfect way to end the night and celebrate America's birthday.)
Our gorgeous final creation. I had to take a picture.
(So good!)

No comments :

Post a Comment