Wednesday, July 24, 2013

24 July 2013

Brekkie:
1/2 avocado, Greek yogurt w/milo powder
(Had to eat something really quickly because I had a meeting and always underestimate how much time I spend in the gym. Who looks at the time when they're busy counting down? It just makes the counting down more agonising!)
 Snack from Helados Jauja, Carlton, Melbourne, Australia:
Black sesame gelato, Argentine tea (Yerba mate tea w/milk) gelato
(Oh my god. I seriously want to go here everyday. The head employee of this place is absolutely lovely and probably the friendliest person I've met here. I walked in carrying a ton of groceries and asked her what was popular. She asked me if I was new and I told her I just flew in from America and asked her about her Argentine tea flavour. She gave me a sample and then proceeded to give me a sample of her toasted black sesame gelato because "they taste fantastic together!". And jeez, they really did. She also gave me a sample of her cafe con leche, which also tasted fantastic, and told me about all of her other flavours. There's stuff like durian to rose water to white chocolate raspberry. All with an "Argentine flair". The flavour of each thing I ate was so prominent and wonderfully balanced. Nothing was overwhelming. The gelato was light and creamy; it puts NYC gelaterias to shame. And for these huge scoops, I think the $8 AUD was so worth it. Amazing gelato. And I was in the Italy district of Melbourne too! I'll have to go back in August when the oldest shop re-opens again and judge; for now, I'm getting my fix here. Seriously contemplating going once a week. They also serve crepes and fresh hot chocolate, and the owner is adorable. She makes me want to learn Spanish and go on a backpacking trip around South America so badly.)
 Snack while waiting for the chili to simmer:
Whole grains bread w/hummus
(Or "hommus" as they spell it in Australia. Not as creamy as the hummus I ate in NYC, but so good. Not too garlicky or sour and I actually like how this is more runny; it makes eating it with bread more fun because I literally have to wipe the plate down.)
 Dinner:
Homemade butternut squash "chili" (2) w/bread
(Yay I finally get to eat my "chili".  I wish I had all of my ingredients but other than that, it wasn't bad. The heat kept me warm, which is nice because it's so cold in my apartment right now, but it's more of a veggie stew than chili.)
Snack:
Celery sticks w/hummus
(Kind of really liking this hummus.)

No comments :

Post a Comment