Tuesday, September 03, 2013

03 September 2013

Breakfast:
Piece of sweet potato
(Running super late, but I knew my body would protest if I didn't eat anything after running so I just broke off a piece of boiled sweet potato and high-tailed it.)
 Brunch at Fandango, North Melbourne, Australia:
Vanilla pancakes w/honeyed cream cheese, strawberry-based fruit compote, strawberries & maple syrup
(Finally got to try the pancakes Sarah had been raving about and wow, they really are rave-worthy. At first $15 sounds like a lot for only three pancakes, especially when you're used to American portions, but I was fighting to finish these. The pancakes were fluffy and moist, but I couldn't tell if they were actually vanilla-flavoured or not due to the amount of powdered sugar and toppings. It was actually quite eerie how perfectly round they were - almost like they were cooked on a special griddle or something because I don't remember seeing pancakes with this distinctive cooking pattern on them. Or maybe I'm just seeing things. The strawberry-based fruit compote also randomly had some peaches and blueberries in it, to my surprise. I thought there were just strawberries until I randomly bit into something tart and not-so-strawberry-esque. Sarah confirmed with me that she also had peaches and whatnot so I felt better about the random fruit. Not that the compote was remotely bad, but I really just didn't expect the other fruit. Anyway, I had a butter scare when I was younger, so I was a bit wary about what that huge off-white glob was because the description only said "honeyed cream". That could mean honeyed whipped cream, honeyed butter cream, honeyed ... but Sarah told me it was cream cheese of some sort. It was honeyed, rich and creamy -exactly what'd you expect- so I just mixed it with the compote. The fresh strawberries were lightly glazed, or perhaps the powdered sugar melted, capulting this dish into the realm of sweet carb goodness. While the pancakes were definitely sweet enough to eat without the maple syrup, I was going all out. It's not the maple syrup I'm used to, but it was still good. Definitely a great luncheon.)
Snack from Beatrix, North Melbourne, Australia:
Tangelo chiffon cake (+sample of a chocolate brownie, not pictured)
(I love chiffon cake, actually most cakes in general, but there's just something about chiffon cake. I am quite impressed by the size of this cake though; there's a lot of beating involved in chiffon cakes. Anyway, this cake was super light, airy and moist- all characteristics of a good chiffon cake. I could probably have devoured the entire cake by myself and still not feel too bad. It was that light. But that's also the beauty of chiffon cakes. Can you tell how deep my love for chiffon cakes run? And normally I hate icing or frosting, but I quite enjoyed the tangelo glaze on this! Intensely citrusy and sweet without being overwhelmingly so, it complemented the cake perfectly. This was a great slice of cake, and I somewhat kind of sort of wish that I had just bought the entire thing and gorged. Okay, no. Not really, but I can definitely see why this bakery has a cult-esque following now.)

No comments :

Post a Comment