Thursday, February 20, 2014

20 February 2014

Breakfast:
Last of my Irish steelcut oats w/veggies, hemp protein powder & chili powder
Snack from some juice stand in Borough Market, London, England:
Orange, carrot & lemon juice
(I can't remember if this was the combination, or if it was apple instead of orange. Either way, it was delicious and super refreshing. I have to hit up the other two promising juice/smoothie bars I saw at this market soon.)
Snack from Comptoir Gourmand in Borough Market, London, England:
Portugese custard tart
(I love love love custard tarts, even though I hate eggs. This got a bit too sweet toward the end, but the first two bites were lovely. I really enjoyed the thick custard without the powerful eggy taste.)
Snack from Greedy Goat in Borough Market, London, England:  
Raspberry & chili goat milk ice cream (+samples of apple pie, lemon cheesecake & salted caramel, not pictured)
(I was going to get apple pie or lemon cheesecake goat milk ice cream inititally, but the apple pie was ridiculously sweet and the lemon cheesecake was both ridiculously sweet and sour. I couldn't handle it. The girl recommended salted caramel, but that was almost as sweet as the apple pie and then told me that the raspberry & chili was "not that spicy today". Raspberry & chili isn't really a thing, but it should be! This was so refreshing and crisp, with the perfect subtle hint of spice. Maybe it's because I haven't had ice cream in awhile, or because this is made from goat milk, or because it was raining outside, but damn, this was a delicious cone. My jaw actually dropped after sampling this flavour and I uttered, "wow, this is good!" before I even knew what I was doing.)
Snack from The Flour Station in Borough Market, London, England:
Almond croissant (ate half)
(Okay, croissants should not be this big and what is up with the cake-esque topping underneath the silvered almonds? I think I waited too long to eat this, because it was quite dry (the very interior was alright), but I'm a bit disappointed with the layers and filling. My biggest complaint would have to be putting the filling on top of the croissant, or at least that's what I think the cake-esque thing underneath the almonds were. It tasted kind of like sweetened almond meal, so it wasn't actual cake - unlike the very disappointing almond croissant I got in Sydney. Anyway, I don't believe in having my filling not-in-the-filling. The cool thing was that they baked the filling into the croissant, instead of slicing the croissant and spreading it in later. However, they put it on the bottom layer so all the butter and whatnot seeped through, creating a very buttery, eggy and almost overdone taste in the outermost layer. And I don't think they put enough butter in the rest of the layers, because it was too dry. Perhaps I should have stuck with what reviews said were good at this stand.)
Snack from The Flour Station in Borough Market, London, England:
Chelsea bun (ate half) w/PG tips tea
(Sampling the Chelsea bun Winnie told me about! I had a piece of it, but it was very dry and too hard, so I warmed it up. The bun tasted way better after that and smelled even more incredible, but I think it's lacking something. Perhaps there wasn't enough of the spices or black currants in between each layer or something. I can't place it. I also feel like this has a very holiday-esque aura to it, like mince pie.)
Snack:
1/2 almond croissant
Snack:
1/2 Chelsea bun w/tea
(Horrible migraine. I'm rocking my jazz musician look, with sunglasses on inside a dark room. My usual natural remedies didn't work, so I had to eat something before taking my super strong medication.)
Late meal w/the flatmates at Nando's (on Mile End Road), London, England: 
Beanie burger: "cheddar cheese, chickpea and sweetcorn burger pulsating with lentils, peas and pumpkin seeds" (w/o mayo) w/corn on the cob
(Finally trying out this chain I've heard so much about! It's like Chick-fil-A in terms of service, but more focused on actual chicken. I wouldn't know about their chicken, but I enjoyed my veggie burger! And their extra hot sauce isn't that hot. But then again, I eat a lot of spicy foods.)

2 comments :

  1. Ohohohoh I remember I got a scoop from the Greedy Goat ice cream cart too!! Really good =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete