Sunday, February 23, 2014

Happy birthday Connor and Chasmine!

Finally hit up Brick Lane market with a friend today and I can definitely say that if I had bottomless stomach and unlimited funds, this place would be my jam. Love love all the vintage stores and food stalls!

Brunch from an Ethiopian food stall in the Brick Lane Market Food Court, London, England:
Mixture of Ethiopian dishes: couscous w/aubergine stew, lentil stew, peanut sauce, spinach stew, chickpea stew, chickpea salad, lentil salad, some kind of green pearl thing, beetroot salad, green chili sauce & red chili sauce
(The people manning this stall were great! I didn't know how things worked, so the guy basically let me sample every dish after shooing his coworker away, and I ended up getting a little bit of every dish, except for the olives and onions ones. I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, but they said I could customize as much as I wanted and every dish was vegan so it was like my dream come true. My favourites were the aubergine stew, beetroot salad and green pearl thing. I remember the guy saying it was something with olive oil and lemon juice, but I can't figure out what he said the green things were. The recommended green chili sauce was smokey, hot and flavourful. Man, it'd taste amazing with Mexican food. Anyway, I was quite happy with my choices and this plate was definitely worth the £5.)
Snack from a fresh fruit juice stall in Brick Lane Market, London, England:
Fresh kiwifruit juice
(Best thing ever. This was basically like crushed kiwifruit. I could drink gallons of this! My favourite stall in the world, and I'm not even kidding. There were also cups of fresh fruit and smoothies. Forget all the other stalls, I'm just going to drink a million of these next time.)
Snack from St. Sugar of London in Brick Lane Market, London, England:
"Rumzipan": marzipan and rum croissant
(The almond croissants caught my eye, but these were right next to it and their description was like 'rum soaked almonds in an almond croissant soaked in rum, twice baked' or something equally ridiculous. I went on their Twitter page later and they have tweets about how this is their "response to the Cronut" and this is "the godfather of every croissant, when a bag of almonds meet a bottle of rum". This was probably the most dense and heaviest (both in terms of weight and taste) croissant I've ever had, but I quite enjoyed it. While the rum wasn't that osphretic, the flavour did mellow out the sweetness. They overdid it with the filling though, because I think it was a bit too heavy. The croissant layers were also mushed together so I'd have to say that this was more like a rum marzipan pastry rather than a croissant.)
Snack:
Banana, yerba mate tea
Snack:
Hob nob biscuit (2)
Snack:
Roasted cashews

1 comment :

  1. HOLY MOLY rum + marzipan + croissant??! WOWOW bakeries should incorporate alcoholic flavours more often into their creations! Sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete