Friday, August 02, 2013

02 August 2013

It's Friday fun time! Visited my favourite shop again and got a double scoop since someone told me that it's "Ice Cream Month". I never need a reason to eat ice cream or gelato, but the more the merrier!

I also just found out that it's "National Ice Cream Sandwich Day" and that "Ice Cream Month" was July. Man, America is having too much fun.

Brekkie:
Spoonful of pb (1.5), oats & berry cluster cereal w/almond milk
Snack from the Co-Op on campus:
Apple lolly
Snack from Helados Jauja, Carlton, Melbourne, Australia:
Caramelised pear w/walnuts gelato, praline pecan gelato (+samples of dulce de leche w/walnuts, dark chocolate orange sorbet, goat cheese w/cranberries & walnuts)
(Texture was spot on as usual so I'll just focus on flavours. The dark chocolate orange sorbet was one of their new flavours and quickly going fast. Man it was intense. You know those orange chocolate balls, where you slam the ball down and get perfect chocolate orange wedges? Tasted like that but every bite was an entire ball as opposed to just a wedge. As much as I enjoyed the freakishly light -it was a sorbet after all- gelato, I wanted something creamier and more decadent. So I sampled the dulce de leche w/walnuts and goat cheese. While both were good and tasted almost exact like what you'd expect, neither particularly jumped out at me. I do have to comment that the goat cheese was more like goat milk ice cream; I have yet to taste a goat cheese flavoured ice cream that captures goat cheese very well. Praline pecan was another one of their new flavours and man, it was amazing. Nutty, mapley and simply decadent. I could taste the freshness of the caramelised pecans; some of the pecans had that roasted burnt sugar taste to them. Brought me back to the time where butter pecan ice cream was my obsession and I couldn't go a day without at least two spoonfuls. Then I tasted the caramelised pear w/walnuts and just had to get it. It literally tasted like creamy, roasted pears with some buttery crunch. Again, light and decadent. For some reason, I felt like wearing some kind of flowy drapery on and lying on chaise while getting spoon-fed this gelato. That good. And the fact that I got both flavours together on a cone enhanced each of their unique subtleties, creating a cone of utter caramelised joy on a rainy and windy afternoon.)
 Snack:
Package of the double coat Tim Tam
(Didn't notice that the package got ripped by my books! Guess I can't ship this package out...)
Double coat Tim Tam slam w/hot milo almond milk (w/cinnamon & cayenne pepper)
(So I'm going to do a slam! Mmmmmmmmm. Miffy said it was one of life's simple delicacies or something. I'm inclined to agree. Also, the double coating really is great for slamming! I usually only slam originals, but this holds its structure for so much longer!)
Snack while preparing a late lunch/supper:
Leftover pear w/leftover prima donna cheese
(Gosh this was good.)
 Late lunch/supper:
Grilled prima donna cheese sandwich w/packham pear slices on an olive roll
(Like I previously said, this cheese melts beautifully. It doesn't melt quickly, but it gets to that desired level of stringyness and gooeyness. The cheese was already amazing with the pear, but the addition of the olive roll just made it fantastic. If I had some amazing marinara sauce, it would have been one amazing pizza-esque sandwich.)
 Snack:
Slice of ciabatta toast w/rest of the pb
(Cut my last ciabatta roll into thin slices for toast. The soup was taking forever to heat up so I had a snack.)
 Early dinner:
Rest of the veggie medley soup w/slices of ciabatta toast (didn't eat one of the pieces)
(Realised that the texture of the toast resembled pita chips and thought it would taste fantastic with hummus so I took one and ate it with hummus.)
 Snack:
Hummus w/one of the slices of toast
(And yes, it was marvelous.)
Baking samples:
Chocolate chunk cookie
(Testing best stove-top "baking" methods. This was good, but I couldn't really brown the top and it would have taken way too long. But mmm good cookie! A bit sweet, since I'm used to not adding sugar in my cookies, but quite yummy. The chocolate also tastes kind of like it has traces of coffee in it so I like the slight bitterness.)
Chocolate chunk walnut cookie
(Ooh even better with the walnuts! I was able to slightly brown the top with this method and mmm.)
Malted chocolate chocolate chunk walnut cookie
(Bit burnt because I forgot to look after it, but still good! I like this one because I didn't add sugar, assuming that the amount of sugar inside the milo powder would be enough. It's lightly sweetened but much more flavourful. Mm.)
Melted chocolate chunk cookie
(Chocolate chunks were on the bottom and top so they melted quite quickly. Had to do damage control before the pan burned. Still tasted good!)

 Midnight snack:
Chocolate chunk cookie
(I haven't been up this late since coming here I think!)

No comments :

Post a Comment