Friday, August 16, 2013

16 August 2013

Brunch:
Oats, honey, macadamia & berry cluster cereal w/almond milk (1.5) & spoonful of pb
(Didn't eat breakfast this morning because I was running late, so I had some cereal when I got back.)
Celery stick w/pb
Snack:
Leftover salted caramel macaron, opera house macaron, violet & blueberry macaron (didn't eat the chocolate earl grey one)
(I like these better now that they've sat around!) 
Snack:
English breakfast tea w/almond milk & the leftover chocolate earl grey macaron
(So perfect with the black tea! The earl grey flavour really shone through.)
Snack at Le Gourmet Cakes, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia:
Lemon meringue pie
(WHY ARE THERE NO APPLE PIES?!? Or pumpkin! The closest fruit pie I can find is lemon. Actually, I found apple "pies" here but they looked more fake than the kitchen toy food sets I had when I was younger so I didn't order it. I wasn't a fan of the "pie" crust here, but I really enjoyed the lemon part. Sweet, tart and slightly bitter- I think this pie would have been marvelous had the crust been better. The meringue was alright, but a little too sweet for my tastes. I also prefer "hard" meringues to soft, which is usually what is on top of lemon meringue pies, so I had to adjust to this marshmellow-esque topping. It did balance out the lemon part nicely though before the sugar levels got too high for me to handle.)
Vanilla slice (essentially a vanilla custard mille-feuille)
(I'm normally not a big fan of custard, since it's usually too rich, but the employee said this and the cupcakes were her favourite. The carrot cake cupcake did not look too appetizing so I went with the more unique choice. The flaky crust was good, but this "slice" had been left out for too long because the crust was starting to get a bit soft. I like my crusts crunchy! The custard was surprisingly pleasant; it was rather light and creamy. Since the portion of custard was quite large, I was expecting to hate custard after eating this slice. But I felt no heaviness at all! And it wasn't overly sweet either. The vanilla essence wasn't very strong, but I think it preferred it that way. Overall, I enjoyed it but I don't think I'd order it again.)
Dinner:
Green kiwifruit, celery sticks, dates, chunks of "light" cheese, hummus w/cayenne & black peppers
Greek yogurt w/milo powder & cinnamon

No comments :

Post a Comment