Friday, October 04, 2013

Last Day in Cairns!

Also, it's Friday Funday! ICE CREAM TIME. I spent two hours last night debating whether or not I should walk two blocks to grab some gelato and ended up pulling several people into my debate as well.

Cairns is my new Disneyland. I love this town.

And ignore how much I ate.

Breakfast:
Banana, plain Greek yogurt, apple & ginger juice (drank throughout the day, finally finished around the time I bought the other juice)
(Ran a little over four miles along the pier! I wish I took my phone with me so I could have taken a picture of the sun and water.)
Snack from a Filipino stand at Rusty's Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Potato & carrot curry roll
(Oily fried goodness.)
Snack from Rusty's Juice Bar at Rusty's Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
"Liver Cleanser" juice: beetroot, apple, carrot, celery, ginger, a hint of lemon + pineapple (I wanted some pineapple)
(Felt like I probably needed this. I've missed fresh pressed juices!)
Snack from one of many bakery stands at Rusty's Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Chocolate covered cream puff
(Only got this because the sign was in Japanese. I can't eat American-based cream puffs because the custard is too rich and sweet. This custard was light and just sweet enough. Mmm.)
Snack from a frozen fruit purée stand at Rusty's Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Sample of banana & mango fruit purée
Banana, strawberry & mango fruit purée
(I used to make this at home! I miss my blender.)
Snack from the Macaron stand at Rusty's Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Chocolate almond croissant
(Apparently the best almond croissant in Cairns, but doesn't even compare to Filou's in Melbourne. So disappointing. This croissant was way too heavy and didn't have the flaky layers I wanted.)
Samples at Coffee Works, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Orange chili dark chocolate (+ lemon myrtle dark chocolate, chili dark chocolate, lemon & pepper dark chocolate, not pictured)
(More orange chocolate than chili orange chocolate. The lemon myrtle was actually really good; it tasted like lemongrass chocolate. I got some to bring back to Melbourne.)
Snack from Gelocchio, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Pistachio gelato covered in dark chocolate w/pistachio
(THE BEST GELATO I'VE EVER HAD. And the guy custom made it for me too! I really wish I wasn't allergic to hazelnuts though, because the other flavour sounded incredible. Oh well, pistachio's an all-time favourite flavour and this was magical. The gelato was rich and creamy, but not overwhelmingly so. Perfect balance of sweetness, richness and creaminess. The pistachio flavour was prominent, the dark chocolate was strong and the pistachio bits on the outside provided a beautiful texture contrast. Absolutely beautiful stick of gelato. Too bad it was so expensive!)
Snack:
Carrot, apple, orange & ginger juice (sipped throughout the day, finally finished around midnight)
(Why can't I find this stuff in Melbourne!?)
 Snack from a fruit stand at the Night Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Strawberries, honeydew, cantaloupe, kiwifruit, watermelon, pineapple (ate several chunks)
(Can't leave tropical Cairns without buying fruit! Mmm so good. I'm saving the rest for breakfast the next day.)
Dinner at Sushi Express in Orchid Plaza, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Salmon roll
(Started out with "real" sushi.)
Beef bulgogi roll (scraped out as much mayo as possible)
(Apparently this is quite popular. The beef was tender and well marinated. I don't eat bulgogi much so I don't really know what it should taste like, but the roll tasted good!)
Takoyaki
(Been craving these balls! I love that they put the mayo on the side!)
Okonomiyaki
(Not enough cabbage.)
Grilled beef roll
(Did not look like the pictures at all. Very disappointed. I guess I got my "steak" for the trip. People like steak here.)
More takoyaki
(There's actual octopus in these! Unlike the ones I got in Melbourne.)
Sample from this souvenir shop at the Night Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Teensy tiny little bite of emu & roo jerkies
(Was walking around the Night Markets killing time before my flight and this nice lady approached me, asking if I wanted a sample. She all but thrusted the jerky containers to me so I was compelled to get a piece and try it. The roo jerky was very tough, not very spicy at all and a bit sweet. Apparently the regular jerky is even sweeter, and she told me the spicy version was good for drinking.  The emu jerky was very soft and also a bit sweet. I felt kind of sick after my little nibbles -trust me, they were tiny- and finally told the lady that I only eat meat once a month to stop her from forcing more random meat samples down my throat. She was really sweet though and proceeded to tell me about all the "unique" meats, the best way to cook them and all that. Good to know for future reference but I think I'll stick to the four "usual" animals. I always want to try new meats, but then I get so psychologically weirded out that I feel sick. But I suppose now I can say I've consumed emu and roo!)
Snack from the Crepe booth at the Night Markets, Cairns, Queensland, Australia:
Green tea crepe (w/green tea ice cream, azuki beans, cornflakes, condensed milk & fresh whipped cream)
(Yum. Cairns is surprisingly much cheaper than Melbourne even though it's a total tourist area. I guess the huge Chinese population has some influence, but I'm not complaining! I wish the crepe was cooked longer since I like it more brownish, but everything else was fine! Especially liked how light it was.)
Another view
Late late night snack at the Cairns International Airport:
Banana walnut bread slice

No comments :

Post a Comment