Saturday, October 26, 2013

26 October 2013

Breakfast:
Bowl of coffee, warm mince pie from Filou's
(Can't be in one of the Commonwealth countries without trying a mince pie! I thought this had meat in it for the longest time, but I think that's only the early traditional recipes. Now it's basically just a medley of fruits and spices. My flatmate told me it's best warm with cream, but I'm not a fan of cream. Anyway, like everything I've had from Filou's so far, this was fantastic. The pastry crust was phenomenal - light, buttery and perfectly sweetened. Although I'm a bigger fan of the usual American pie fillings, this one grew on me. The nutmeg flavour is very potent and overpowers a lot of the other flavours, but the alcohol (I'm guessing brandy after looking through a list of recipes) added a warm depth to the overall taste.)
Lunch at Lentil As Anything, Abbotsford, Melbourne, Australia: 
The supper menu.
(I seriously love this place. Thanks to Nichole for bringing me and Nathalie here! I need to go back soon.)
Basically everything on the menu above except for the rice.
(The cauliflower and sweet potato dish were my favourites. Everything had a bold and intense flavour, ranging from sweet to tangy to spicy to savoury. The dhal was advertised as being extremely spicy, but I didn't think it was that hot at all. Maybe I just have a high tolerance. I wasn't a big fan of the noodles because they were a bit too oily, but they had a nice tangy savoury flavour.)



Spiced fruit & nut cake (2)
(So good. It's like the holidays came early! I scraped off the coconut cream although the flavour kind of lingered. I had a second helping with my chai latte and wow, perfect way to end brunch.)
Sip of Nathalie's hot chocolate
(I was a fan! Very chocolate-y, yum. And look at how gorgeous it looks!)
Chai latte
(So serene. The latte was great, although there was a bit too much milk and too little spice for my liking. But it surpasses a lot of chai lattes I've tasted in the past, especially since it wasn't on the sweet side.)
Chilling at the Gelato World Tour - Oceania, Carlton, Melbourne, Australia:
Nichole's (#2) Mandorla Affogato from Cow and the Moon in Sydney, Australia
Nathalie's (#12) Pistachio Crunch from Cones Ice Cream Hawthorn in Hawthorn (Melbourne), Australia
(Since I went to this booth several times yesterday, they lady knew me and told her employee to scoop extra gelato for Nathalie. She then topped the cup with two cone wafers and put two spoons in, so Nathalie and I could share. She's so sweet. Perks of being friendly and getting to know the artisans! I wish her store was closer, because then I'd go all the time. Anyway, I had a couple spoonfuls and one of the cone wafers. Mmm, just as good as I remembered.)
Nathalie's (#8) Pavlova Gelato from Frangipani Gelato in Sydney, Australia
Nichole's (#3) Tiramisu from Giapo in Auckland, New Zealand
Shared mini cone of (#7) Banana with Dulce de Leche from 7 Apples Gelato in St. Kilda (Melbourne), Australia
(Had about three spoonfuls from this cone. Just as I remember it from yesterday. Very banana-y, with swirls of dulce de leche that never got overwhelming.)
Back side of the mini cone.
Snack:
Chickpea & lentil spaghetti
(Eating in my mini ramekin! Yup, this spaghetti tastes way better cold. It's like a saucy salad!)
Snack:
Chickpea & lentil spaghetti w/zucchini pasta
(I have a huge thing for cold pasta, even if the pasta isn't "real".)
Snack:
Oats & Australia bush muesli w/almond milk
(Yum. Cereal is a great night snack.)
Snack:
Australia bush muesli w/almond milk

No comments :

Post a Comment