Wednesday, November 13, 2013

13 November 2013

Almost time for me to leave on my "epic" bicycling/backpacking adventure! I need to figure out how to upload and caption all my photos while I'm away. 

"Until Next Time" Lunch at Bali Bagus on Franklin, Melbourne, Australia:
Ketoprak (West Javanese version of "Gado-Gado"): tofu, bean sprout, egg (gave to Nathalie) and rice vermicelli in peanut sauce topped with prawn crackers
(I was a bit weirded out about what food item could possibly be fluorescent, but Nichole and Nathalie said they were prawn crackers. I still don't really understand why they're on top of my noodle dish, but they tasted really good with the peanut sauce - almost like an Indonesian nacho dip! The sauce was extremely peanutty; I think I must have consumed half a pound of peanuts in one sitting. While it was a bit on the salty side for me (but then again, seeing as how I don't really add salt to my dishes, almost anything with added salt is a bit salty for me), it never got overwhelming and I really liked the grittiness of the peanut grinds. I think this is my first time eating Indonesian food, but I'd order this dish again! And maybe add some shredded lettuce too.)
Nathalie's nasi rendang: steamed beef randang served w/anchovies and peanuts
(Nathalie said her mother makes this every year for Christmas, so she was having an early Christmas dinner.)
Nichole's ayam penyet: skinless grilled tenderized chicken w/medium spicy sauce
Sip of Nichole's milk tea
(This did taste kind of off... almost too flowery and a bit artificial, like there was powder added.)
Snack:
Warm apple, blueberry & chickpea salad
(Savoury fruit salad! Mmm. The textures and flavours in this bowl were phenomenal! But I felt like it was lacking something. Maybe some citrus?)
Snack:
Peas & corn w/black pepper
Snack:
Peas & corn w/black pepper

No comments :

Post a Comment