Sunday, November 24, 2013

Adelaide

It's official. Adelaide is my favourite Australian city. I wish I could have lived here

Also, I ate way too much.

Breakfast (provided by the hostel):
Pancakes w/banana slices
(I added the banana.)
Snack from the Bush Tucker Ice Cream stand in Adelaide Farmers' Market, Adelaide, Australia:
Illawarra plum ice cream, quandong ice cream (+sample of mountain pepperberry)
(Really liked all the flavours! Not typical, but they were all really refreshing and the ice cream was pretty light. The Illawarra plum (rich plum with a pine nut flavour) tasted like a plum apple blend, but I couldn't taste the pine nut flavour. It reminds me of those palate cleanser foods. The quandong (iconic rhubarb and apricot with a peach aroma) tasted kind of like a cranberry peach ice cream, but I still liked it. There was no flavour description for the pepperberry, except that it was super fruity. I thought it just tasted like a light mixed berry apple ice cream.)
Snack from the gluten-free bakery stand in Adelaide Farmers' Market, Adelaide, Australia:
Gluten- free donuts
(I scraped off most of the sugar and squeezed out all the oil I could. Really liked the soft, chewy texture of these donuts. They were more starchy than typical donuts, which was expected.)
Sample from the prepared veggie stand in Adelaide Farmers' Market, Adelaide, Australia:

Marinated eggplant
(I wasn't a fan of the marinade. Tasted like a weird soy sauce.)
Snack from the lavender stand in Adelaide Farmers' Market, Adelaide, Australia:

Lavender fudge, lavender brownie
(The lavender fudge was extremely lavender-y while the brownie was more chocolate than lavender. Both took me awhile to finish because of how rich and chocolately they were.)
Snack from the gluten-free bakery stand in Adelaide Farmers' Market, Adelaide, Australia:

Banana bread sample, olive loaf sample, multi-seed sample
(They were all alright, but I wasn't a big fan.)
Sample from a nut and dried fruit stand in Adelaide Farmers' Market, Adelaide, Australia:

Pistachio, sultana
Snack from St. Louis, Adelaide, Australia:

Waffle basket w/apple crumble ice cream, honey apricot & almond yogurt and Bailey's chocolate-covered almonds ice cream (+sample of St.Louis: honeycomb vanilla ice cream)
(Really liked each individual flavour and they complemented each other well. Potent flavours that tasted exactly like their names with a very rich and creamy texture. Too rich actually. I think I'm becoming more lactose intolerant because I ended up puking after this. MY LIFE IS IN SHAMBLES! Actually, I just need to stop eating ice cream.)
Snack from Dumpling King, Chinatown, Adelaide, Australia:

Vegetarian dumplings, tea
(I forgot that Asian vegetarian food usually involves mushrooms. I hate mushrooms!!! And there was a lot in here, because I could smell and taste the shiitakes. I didn't want to waste my money or the food though, so I ate them. They weren't so bad after awhile, but I really wish there had been less mushrooms. Man, I still want some dumplings (writing this a day after), but I don't know if I like dumplings that much to eat more mushrooms.)
Close-up of the filling
Snack from --- Food Truck at a Splash Adelaide event, Adelaide, Australia:

Green smoothe (spinach, banana, avocado & chocolate brown rice protein powder)
(I love my green smoothies! But I really need my blender because I have yet to find a place that sells my favourite combination.)
Sample from the Woolworths stand at a Splash Adelaide event, Adelaide, Australia:

Passionfruit cake
(Too sweet, but expected.)
Snack from a South American food stand at a Splash Adelaide event, Adelaide, Australia:

Spinach & ricotta empanada w/guacada (?) sauce
(I don't know how to spell this green sauce because the guy said it way too fast, but it has a "guac" in it and isn't guacamole. Tasted kind of like avocado-based pesto.)
Sample from the Woolworths stand at a Splash Adelaide event, Adelaide, Australia:

Carrot cake
Snack from Australia Pizza House, Adelaide, Australia:

Pineapple pizza
(Half of the store looked at me weirdly when I ordered the Hawaiian without ham. Pineapple pizza is delicious! Missed pizza and celebrated Pineapple Pizza Day (it's a small thing between some of my friends).)

No comments :

Post a Comment