Sunday, November 17, 2013

Richmond to Orford

Apparently today's the hardest day of the Tasmanian East Coast tour, and with obstacles named Break-me-neck Hill and Bust-me-gall Hill, I have experienced why.

Breakfast (provided by host Miriam) at Mulberry Cottage B&B, Richmond, Tasmania:
Crumpets (2), homemade mulberry jam, orange marmalade, Tasmanian Lockwood honey, vanilla bean yogurt, fruit salad
(The crumpets were your usual supermarket kinds; I really miss Satori's. Not a big fan of jams and toppings in general, but I tried all of them. The marmalade was typical, and I rather enjoyed the mulberry jam. Perhaps because it wasn't that sweet and completely homemade (the mulberries were picked from the garden). But my favourite was the honey. I really want to buy a jar for me and everyone I know. I don't even like honey and I think I ate half of that serving thing! It wasn't very sweet and more on the acidic side, but there was a floral undertone. Mmm, it was soo good. Apparently there's a shop I can stop by to purchase real Tasmanian honey before my Tasmanian cycling trip ends, but upon checking the altitudes, I'm a bit too scared to go for it. Maybe I can find some in mainland Australia?)
Weet-bix cereal
(Weet-bix cereal is a big thing in Australia and England, sort of like corn flakes or Cheerios for us I guess, but on a larger scale. Literally, every single market that I've been in stocks this cereal and sometimes it's the only one! I didn't know if I'd like it so I've been holding off, but upon seeing it here, I figured I might as well try it. Well, it's more like a savoury biscuit and I'd much rather eat some other processed wheat product. It soaked up moisture incredibly fast for something on the dry side though.)
Pineapple juice (3), black tea w/milk
Snack on the road:
Half a slice of bread w/pb
(Wasn't going to stop for a snack until I got to the rest-stop area, but I am so out of breath it's not even funny. I would much rather run up these hills than bike them. I also wanted some leftover pizza only to realise I forgot it in the fridge back in Richmond.)
 Snack at a rest-stop area:
Half a slice of bread w/pb
(I AM ALIVE. I figured out that I can bike forever if the road is relatively flat but add a gradient and I'm panting more than an overheated dog. Kind of a duh thing, but I really thought all that weight training and resistance stuff would work...)
Two slices of bread w/pb
(I'm a bit more famished than I thought.)
Snack at Seabreeze Holiday Cabin, Orford, Tasmania:
Banana w/pb
(I GET A CABIN TO MYSELF. Celebration time! Also I really hope I don't wake up sore tomorrow.)
 Snack:
Chocolate cookie w/pb (5), tea
(The host is so kind! She also gave me some juice and granola bars "to get some sugar in me" (apparently I must look more tired than I thought).)
Snack:
Carrots 
(Bought a bag of carrots at the grocery store. I wanted to make a salad but all fruits and veggies looked like they were about to see the compost.)
Snack:
Carrots
(I LOVE CARROTS.)

No comments :

Post a Comment