Thursday, November 21, 2013

Bicheno to St. Helens

My last day of biking in Tasmania and it is storming. I woke up really early in hopes of avoiding the storm but got caught in it anyway. I stopped at this farm cafe about 20km away from my destination to wait it out. It took me ten mins to take off my helmet because I was so numb, and when I looked in a mirror, my skin was either purple or blue. If I wasn't so close to getting hypothermia, I would have thought I looked pretty awesome.

Breakfast:
Banana 'pudding' 
(Microwaved a mashed banana with a grated carrot, crumbled granola bar, pb, slice of bread and some water. Looks like baby food, but it's actually very good! Also, baby food is very nutritious. I still have a thing for toddler gummies and biscuits.)
Snack at Eureka Farm, Scamander, Tasmania:
Cappuccino, apple & berry pie w/apricot ice cream
(Got the coffee solely to hold because my fingers were scarily blue. But I forgot that caffeine makes my metabolism go nuts, and since I've also been biking, my metabolism was already on the high side. That would normally be a good thing, but I get very cold when I digest too quickly, so I was like one of those vibrating stuffed animals in the mall. The woman running the farm got worried and offerred to call the bike company guy to pick me up. Anyway, the pie was delicious. One of the best pies I've tasted; the filling was fruity, chunky and perfectly sweetened while the crust was buttery and akin to a shortbread biscuit rather than the traditional flakey crust. I loved how Anne (one of the farm's owners) allowed the apple and berry chunks to speak for themselves, rather than coating them in sugar and I really enjoyed the shortbread-esque crust. That added a whole new level of textural depth and complemented the chunks of fruit perfectly. And the ice cream! Homemade, with apricots from the farm- I seriously felt like it was just a finely blended combination of apricots and cream. Ultra rich and extremely apricotty. Mmmm.)
Hot chocolate, rhubarb & ginger cake w/strawberry ice cream
(Still trying to warm up. Anne is so kind; I'd go get something from here every week if I could. The hot chocolate helped me warm up a bit, but it's the basic instant kind. The cake and ice cream however, oh man, were delectable. Potent in flavour, each element complemented the others perfectly, yielding a soul-warming dish. I loved how there were huge chunks of rhubarb and bits of ginger inside the cake, and the slightly caramelised edges provided a great texture contrast. This was probably the best strawberry ice cream I've ever had, but it's only for those who like strawberries. Similar to the apricot, the ice cream tasted like it was solely comprised of strawberries and milk. So so good.)
Snack:
Jelly bean (2) from Gautham
Dinner from the Captain's Catch, St. Helens, Tasmania:
Fish & chips
(Finally had a "Tasmanian" dish! Well, Aussie dish in general.)
Snack:
Starburst-flavoured gummy worm from Gautham
(This is genius man. I'm going to buy a ton to bring back. Normally I only like gummy worms if they're sour, because the regular ones just taste like artificial sugar. But these actually have some sort of flavour!)

No comments :

Post a Comment