Monday, November 18, 2013

Orford to Swansea

Finally biking along the coast now! 

Pre-breakfast in bed:
Tea while reading Anna Karenina
Breakfast:
Pb banana "ice cream"
Half a slice of toast with pb & banana "ice cream"
Carrots w/pb
Chocolate cookie w/pb (2), tea, coffee
Snack on the road:
Apple juice (from Karen, the lovely host of Seabreeze Holiday Cabins)
(I would normally never drink this kind of thing, but I've been battling headwinds for about 25km and I'm so tired. Plus I didn't just want to toss it.)
Snack from Kate's Berry Farm, Swansea, Tasmania:
Boysenberry ice cream topped w/berry mixture (+sample of blueberry ice cream)
(It's not berry season yet, so these particular batches are made with fresh jams. The blueberry ice cream was very potent and while I really enjoyed it, I felt like blueberry jam-based ice creams are more popular than boysenberry jam-based ice creams. Plus, boysenberry is a popular flavour amongst the Aussies. The ice cream was rich and creamy, great berry taste without being overly sweet. I also really liked how the berry topping wasn't very sweet either. But then again, my physical condition at the time might have influenced the taste. See below:

Today was just not my day. This place closes at 4:30PM and I was supposed to be here by 2:30. Instead, I got a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere with no signal and minimal directions. I finally got some help (via phone) and was struggling to put a new tube on until this sheep farmer stopped by. Thank you thank you, I'm so forever grateful and even though you'll never read this, I need to express my gratitude anyway. So I finally get going, literally battling hills and storm-worthy headwinds (I had to pedal downhill!) and got to the berry farm at 4:32PM. I had called when I was about 12km away, asking if they could stay open for an extra ten minutes because I was so, so, so exhausted (60km today, all with headwinds) and totally didn't know if I could make it in time. They told me that if I couldn't get there before they left, they couldn't do anything about it. So I literally did a bike-marathon worthy sprint for 12km, cursing and yelling while hugging the handlebars (attempted to minimise wind resistance). The worst part? The farm was on one of the steepest hills ever so I actually just chucked my bike, grabbed my phone and wallet and sprinted up the hill. By the time I walked inside, I was a greasy (from fixing the tyre), panting and sweaty mess. Guests walking out were like, "Hey, are you that bike girl from the hills and bridge?" Affirmative. Can't believe all these customers witnessed my misery. It actually took me five minutes before I could order because I was breathing so hard I couldn't even speak - but ice cream has never tasted so good.)
Snack from Kate's Berry Farm, Swansea, Tasmania:
Lemon sorbet
(I don't normally get sorbets, but I really liked how extra tarty and lemony it was. Plus, it was amazingly creamy for a sorbet. Super refreshing.)
Snack:
Carrot w/pb, banana w/pb (ended up eating this with the sandwich), English breakfast tea
Snack: 
Chocolate cookie w/pb, English breakfast tea
(Figured out why I like these cookies so much! They taste like the chocolate part of Oreos, so when I add pb, it's sort of like Oreos w/pb! Yumm. I wonder if I can find them in Melbourne supermarkets.)
Snack:
Pb sandwich (ate w/the banana)
(This was supposed to be for my lunch break but then the flat tyre ruined everything.)
 Snack: 
Carrot (2)

No comments :

Post a Comment