Friday, August 15, 2014

Good-bye, Vy!

My flatmate is moving out today! So hey, come visit me - I just might have space for you. 

Post-run drink from Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA:
Clear a Cell juice: carrots, cucumber, dandelion, celery, spinach, raw potato, lemongrass, burdock, echinacea A-, echinacea P-, milk thistle, Oregon grape, sarsaparilla & yellow dock
(The colour of this juice is wonky and I'm skeptical about raw potatoes but it tasted like diluted carrot juice. Slightly bitter, but it's not noticeable unless you're highly sensitive. Not my favourite juice in terms of taste, but it was refreshing after a run.)
Coffee break from Nook Bakery & Coffee Bar, Philadelphia, PA:
Iced coffee w/a splash of soymilk
(This place is about three blocks north of my favourite coffee joint, Almaz Cafe. There must be a lot of regulars because the woman who was making the coffee knew the majority of the people by name and their order! Kind of cute actually. The cafe itself has a really warm vibe, which was magnified by the sugary aroma that seemed to permeate all the air molecules in and around the cafe.)
Lunch:
Kale, seaweed & tumeric oatmeal topped w/avocado slices & cayenne pepper
(Mmm, hearty and deliciously savoury. Perfect blend of creamy, spicy and salty.)
Snack:
Corn puffs, blueberry vanilla granola, frozen pineapple chunks, ground flaxseed, walnut bits, cacao nibs, cinnamon & flaxseed milk
Snack:
Gingerberry kombucha w/chia seeds
(I added the chia seeds to the kombucha because I felt like some texture.)
Late dinner from HipCityVeg - University City, Philadelphia, PA:
Ziggy burger* w/special sauce on the side & sweet potato fries w/cilantro black bean dip
(Friday nights basically equate to laptop shows, aka television shows-that-are-binge-watched-on-the-laptop shows. I'm a sucker for a good crime show, but haven't been able to get into any of the new ones or follow the ones I used to watch. I was going to start Breaking Bad, but given that I tend to binge watch shows and its stellar reviews, I couldn't do it. Too much work to do, no time to watch five seasons of epicness.  So I just ended up watching a classic: Law & Order. Do tell me if there any new crime shows I should watch though!

Anyway, the food. I've been craving a burger for awhile and it didn't help when my flatmate kept talking about her desire for an In-N-Out burger. I stared at my cupboards for ten minutes before giving up and walking to HipCityVeg to grab an order. A friend told me this place was overrated, but I like it! The sweet potato fries were chunky enough - although I like them chunkier - and lightly salted. I didn't think the cilantro black bean dip was memorable, but if you're one of those people who like to dip their fries in ranch, you might like this sauce. It's not zesty but the creaminess is definitely there without the heaviness. Let's talk about this Ziggy burger though. What looks like bacon is smoked tempeh and this "special" sauce of theirs tasted a lot like In-N-Out's sauce or McDonald's Big Mac sauce. I am hestitant about the Big Mac sauce comparison because I haven't had one in ages, but I'm a little more confident about the In-N-Out comparison. The special sauce had a thousand island flavour to it with little pickle chunks, but it was a lot lighter than the other two chains' sauces from what I remember. The veggie patty was comprised of grounded up bits, which surprisingly imitated a really soft meat patty. Both the veggie patty and smoked tempeh strips had a strong smoky/grilled flavour so the special sauce and condiments really complemented the "meats". I even ate the onions, and normally I hate onions, but their acidity helped cut the intensity of the "meats".  Overall, I really enjoyed the burger and would definitely get it again. Oh, I should also note that the bun was really soft since some people prefer it soft and others prefer it toasted.)

*Ziggy burger: classic veggie burger w/lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion, smoked tempeh & special sauce
Late night snack:
Ben & Jerry's half baked frozen yogurt topped w/silvered almonds & cacao nibs

No comments :

Post a Comment