Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Happy National Dog Day!

Today features most of my favourite edibles: juices, smoothies, coffee, pizza and burgers. All-American at heart, although my heart is probably not thanking me for this.

Breakfast (partially from Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA)::
Lemon ginger blast juice: lemon, ginger, parsley, cilantro, cucumber, celery, apples, arugula & habernero pepper
Kale, pineapple, mango & almond flour smoothie
(I believe the blast comes from the pepper, and it really can be a blast of heat. The juice has an interesting flavour wave of spicy and refreshing.)

 Afternoon coffee from La Colombe - Dilworth Plaza, Philadelphia, PA:
Iced coffee
(A coffee joint, plain and simple. This place has no menus and the semi-circular bar is both inviting and disarming.  Just don't order some frou-frou Starbucks-esque beverage and you'll be fine. Luckily, I'm either an iced coffee, latte or straight up black coffee type of person so the transaction went quickly. Most "good" cold-brews are already made, since they require almost a day to steep or a slightly different steeping procedure, so I was really surprised when I saw the barista pour in an extra shot. I think  my heart just stopped beating the second I saw that and it definitely stopped after my first sip. Guys, La Colombe knows their coffee and they don't joke around. The iced coffee was utterly smooth, a word I don't think I've ever used to describe the flavour of coffee,  and potent, probably thanks to the extra shot. There was no acidity whatsoever and that terrible coffee aftertaste did not linger. And maybe it's psychological, but I instantly felt energized and didn't have to drink the entire cup. All in all, a perfect cup of iced coffee and I'm so glad there isn't a location near me. That could end up badly, although  I did end up purchasing a bag of their beans.)
Lunch from Dolce Carini Pizza, Philadelphia, PA:
Caprese pizza
(I thought this was a margherita pizza when I pointed to the slice, but the only difference between the caprese pizza is that it is supposed to have a balsamic reduction to mimic the salad. I didn't taste any balsamic reduction but I did taste a whole lot of garlic! If the employee hadn't told me that this was a caprese pizza, I would have said that it was pretty good. A bit too garlicky for my tastes and not enough sauce, but everything else was great. The crust was crisp and chewy with an even thickness throughout. However, since the employee did say that this was a caprese pizza, I feel like I have to complain about the lack of a balsamic reduction and that the garlic sauce was rather strong and not evenly distributed. Garlic just isn't my favourite flavour either, so I wish they had stuck to a plain cheese, tomato and basil pizza if they didn't add a balsamic reduction. I don't mind the lack of sauce or reduction as much as the garlic.)
Snack at Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA:
Lemon ginger blast juice: lemon, ginger, parsley, cilantro, cucumber, celery, apples, arugula & habernero pepper
(Stopped by the juice club for the last time since my friend was working, but my favourite off-shift employees happened to be there too so it was a bittersweet farewell. Today's juice was particularly spicy and much welcomed after eating that garlicky pizza.)
Dinner from Village Whiskey, Philadelphia, PA:
Veggie burger: black bean & lentil patty w/cheese, pickled red cabbage, guacamole & a pickle
(This is supposed to have one of the best burgers - both meat and veggie - in Philly, but I liked Varga Bar's better. Maybe eating the burger at Village Whiskey would have made a difference but my initial thoughts upon seeing and smelling this was "Big Mac". The sesame seed bun was the main attribution to the visual similarity, but it really did smell like the Big Macs from my memory. And the combination of pickled red cabbage, the patty, pickle and buttered bun was reminiscent of the better aspects of a refined Big Mac. Deconstructing the burger into three parts: the bun, the patty and everything else before I start ranting about McDonald's. After making hundreds of burgers with  toasted, buttered sesame buns, I just don't like them anymore. It's just so banal and the only time I would enjoy them is when I'm eating a classic (cheese)burger, but I haven't eaten meat in awhile so that point is moot. Putting my bias aside, the bun itself was quite appetizing. Nicely toasted and buttery without being overwhelming. The bread itself was slightly chewy and that delightful mixture of dense and airy. If this had been anything other than a toasted, buttered sesame bun, I would have greatly enjoyed eating just that. I really liked the texture and density of the patty; it was a sizable chunk and oh so fulfilling. True to the description, it was mainly comprised of lentils, black beans and I tasted some corn kernels. Its flavour perplexed me though. Very savoury and a bit on the salty side, but the spice combination was reminiscent of something  I couldn't place. It was so familiar and I spent the entire time eating this with a furrowed brow but I still can't place it! If I had to describe the flavour with one word, it would be umami, a pleasant savoury flavour. The rest of the burger was alright; a pickle is a pickle and so are the vegetables. I liked the addition of guacamole since it enhanced that umami flavour of the patty, but the amount of guac and that slice of cheese are dismal. Overall, it was a tasty burger and I would eat it again, but it's not a veggie burger I'd crave.)
Snack from Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA:
Clear a cell juice: carrot, cucumber, dandelion, celery, spinach, raw potato, lemongrass, burdock, echinacea A-, echinacea P-, milk thistle, Oregon grape, sarsaparilla & yellow dock
Snack from Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA:
Watermelon, basil & ginger juice
(Watermelon is always delicious.)
Snack from Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA:
Take it easy juice: cucumber, basil, apple, mango, chamomile-passionflower, mugwort, kava kava, valerian, California poppy & American skullcap

No comments :

Post a Comment