Friday, August 22, 2014

Last on location work day!

Well, my last full week in Philadelphia is over and today was my last day in the "fields". Summer always passes by much too quickly.

Breakfast:
Oatmeal w/ground flaxseeds, almond flour, asparagus spears, broccoli, kale, assorted bell peppers, seaweed, cinnamon & cayenne pepper
(Pantry staple number one: oatmeal/quinoa. My parents can't live without rice, I can't live without oatmeal/quinoa.)
Snack:
Dark chocolate chips & silvered almonds (2)
Snack:
Gingerade kombucha
Dinner with the team from Kermit's Bake Shoppe, Philadelphia, PA:
Pesto slice: almond basil pesto, roasted red peppers, garlic spinach & olives
(Thanks for the pizza John! Last team food outing was at this misfit bakery located on a rather forlorn looking street. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I saw the Hawaiian-esque printed storefront but when the distinctive smells of pizza and sugar encompassed me, I was appeased. The pesto pizza was good, but the dough layer was a bit too thin for my tastes. I liked the crispness and the amount of crust at the end, but sometimes the thinness of the dough was reminiscent of eating pita chips or something akin to that. I also think that they should add less olives because they completely overpowered the pizza and masked the flavours of the pesto and other veggies. If I had read the description beforehand and were looking forward to tasting almond basil pesto and garlicky spinach, I would have been disappointed. But if there's no expectations, this pizza is satisfactory.) 
Team members' Kerminator slices: choucroute, caramelised onions, applewood smoked ham,  gruyere & crème fraîche
Late night snack from HipCityVeg - University City, Philadelphia, PA:
Strawberry shake, sweet potato fries w/black bean cilantro dip
(Got their shake of the month just because it involved fresh strawberries, otherwise I would have gone with chocolate. Dipping sweet potato fries in a strawberry shake doesn't taste as good as dipping them in chocolate though. My milkshake craving since I went abroad has finally been satisfied! I'm also pleasantly surprised that this shake wasn't overly sweet, usually soy-based ice creams/yogurts are on the instant cavities level of sweetness. Double win!)

No comments :

Post a Comment