Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Last day in Philadelphia!

Since I'm leaving for Amherst tomorrow, I decided to walk around Philadelphia one last time.

Breakfast:
Rest of the iced coffee, quinoa porridge w/seaweed, dried cranberries, cinnamon, cayenne pepper & cacao nibs
(The coffee was still good the next day and was quite good with my salty-sweet porridge.)
Lunch from Gianfranco Pizza Rustica, Philadelphia, PA:
Tomato slice w/pesto
(This pizza was really delicious. Highly recommend if you're around Old City, on 3rd and slightly north of Market I think. The sauce wasn't too sweet, which is often the case, and the teensy bit of cheese contrasted nicely with the sweetness. My favourite part was the crust though; I think they have a good thickness with the perfect crispy yet chewy texture. It's such a shame that they don't deliver to my apartment because I would have definitely ordered a large pizza to eat on the train ride. Speaking of eating, while I was enjoying this, a construction site inspector struck up a conversation with me about construction sites - something I know nothing about - and then told me about his son's military tours. Philly is full of talkative people.)
Afternoon Coffee from Old City Coffee, Philadelphia, PA:
Iced coffee
(This was their Venetian roast I believe, and while it was good, it wasn't comparable to La Colombe's. This tasted so weak and diluted with regards to brew strength. If I had wanted a good, flavourful coffee with a nice aroma, this would have sufficed. However, if I wanted a jolt signaling that "yes, I did just have a sip of coffee", I would have gone to La Colombe. Also, this coffee shop is more of a coffee bar; you can come in, buy some beans, coffee or snack but you can't sit down.)
Coffee at Chapterhouse Cafe & Gallery, Philadelphia, PA:
Almond milk latte
(I can't compare Chapterhouse's coffee to the others I've tasted since this one is a latte, but it was a good one! The beans were from Nicaragua, where I did my first coffee cupping, so I had to order this light roast instead of the Peruvian dark roast. A little caffeine extra caffeine never hurt I suppose. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed; after drinking black coffee for awhile, the addition of that much milk was a bit too much. Perhaps I should have ordered a cortado instead since that has less milk. Regardless, I did enjoy my warm coffee and book. The atmosphere in this cafe is wonderful and I'd come here much more frequently if  I could. There's a ton of different styles of seats and three floors, each with their own level of noise. The baristas are also extremely friendly, which is something I look for in sit-down cafes. This was a great way to end my summer.)
Snack from Cake and the Beanstalk, Philadelphia, PA:
Blueberry ice cream (from Franklin Fountain)
(I've heard that Franklin Fountain is the ice cream to get, but I didn't feel like ice cream when I was in that area. I wanted a slice of cheesecake from here actually, but balked at the price. While I'm sure their cheesecake is good, I could buy a lot of proven-to-be-delicious cheesecake slices for less than $4.50. I don't think I've ever had blueberry ice cream before and since blueberries are such a summery fruit, this truly was a fabulous way to end of the summer. The flavour was deliciously intense; I could taste the blueberries and cream without the all those artificial additives. However, the texture could be improved in my opinion. I like ice cream on the creamier side, one that's been nicely churned. And if that's not possible due to the ingredients, it has to be smooth. This ice cream was kind of clumpy and each spoonful was only smooth after I licked it a couple of times. Since this is has such a high fruit content, or at least I think it does, the freezing temperature shouldn't be as low as say, chocolate ice cream. And this container was in with the rest of the flavours so perhaps that affected the texture. But then again, it wasn't really icy either so I don't really know.)
Snack from Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA:
Alter-native juice: lemon, astragalus root, apple, ginger root & mineral water
Snack from Ryan Crown's Juice Club, Philadelphia, PA:
Life regenerator juice: apple, celery, lemon, kale & ginger
(I need this life regenerating power. It's the middle of the night and I'm still packing. How did I accumulate so much stuff during my time in Philadelphia?!?)

No comments :

Post a Comment