Monday, August 18, 2014

Ten days left!

And the countdown begins...

I'm going to try and hit up some eateries everyday most days since I only have ten days left, but it's going to be hard because (1) I have a lot of work, (2) it requires time since I walk everywhere and (3) my bank isn't as green as I'd like it to be.

Breakfast:
Roasted tofu & brussel sprouts, braised veggies, avocado slices w/cayenne pepper, quinoa & oatmeal medley
(Felt like a warm and savoury breakfast today.)
Lunch:
Frozen blueberries, frozen pineapple chunks, walnut bits, cayenne pepper, ground flaxseeds, almond butter & flaxseed milk
Dinner from Desi Chaat House, Philadelphia, PA:
Mastana chaat: chickpeas, potatoes, mint sauce, yogurt sauce, tamarind sauce, fried gram flour strips, peanuts, corn flakes, lentils, spinach, coriander & spices
(Whenever I get a chaat, it's usually a samosa chaat because I freaking love me a samosa.  I fully intended to get either that or a punjabi chaat but this was their "special of the day" - even though it's offered everyday. Okay, the smell of this made me slightly nauseous; maybe it was just me, but this actually stank. It reminded me of a primary school science experiment gone wrong and I seriously thought the food went bad in the twenty minutes it took me to walk back to my apartment. Nothing in the ingredient list suggests an unpleasant odour, but the combination of them could be a stink bomb. Since I've never eaten a mastana chaat before, I chalked it up to my inexperience and ate it anyway. I ordered a "spicy" level and man, I was glad I got that mango lassi. Definitely needed that beverage to soothe the burns and mellow out the medley of flavours in this chaat. The chaat itself wasn't spectacular and tasted more like an Indian twist to Tex-Mex food: imagine the sauces as your nacho cheese, the fried stuff as chips and the rest as toppings. If I do go back here, I wouldn't order this again but I'll certainly try their samosa chaat!)
Mango lassi
(Potent mango flavour and it didn't taste artificial! This was creamy and sweet, without being overly so. Since I ordered a "spicy" chaat, this mango lassi saved my tastebuds from burning off! I didn't think the chaat would be so spicy, but wow the heat combined with this chilled mango drink was a winning pair. I took several sips before eating the chaat just to get a sense of the flavour and I thought the lassi was tasty. Definitely more on the refreshing yet filling side due to the yogurt. This was the saving grace of an otherwise pungent and mediocre meal.)
The chaat and lassi!
(I'm chuckling because it sounds like the name of some band. In fact, I'm envisioning their vibe and sound right now.)

No comments :

Post a Comment