Saturday, August 02, 2014

Happy National Ice Cream Sandwich Day!

It's fun to acknowledge these whimsical holidays, don't you think so?

I didn't have the motivation to run four miles to buy a pint of almond milk-based ice cream at Whole Foods so I just baked some cookies à la Karlie Kloss and forwent the ice cream.

Breakfast:
Corn puffs, frozen pineapples chunks, frozen blueberries, frozen mango chunks, cacao nibs, cinnamon, ground flaxseed & almond butter w/flaxseed milk
(Three out of my top five favourite fruits are in this bowl! When I was on my way to the Bay Area from Los Angeles a couple years back, I sat near this guy who "could read people". I never told him my name nor my favourite fruits, but he guessed my name within three or so guesses and all five fruits correctly on the first try! It was unbelievable but oh so very freaky. I ran out of that terminal so quickly when we arrived.)
Lunch:
Quinoa w/grape tomatoes, tofu veggie stir-fry
Snack:
Chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookie
(I loosely interpreted Christina Tosi (of Momofuku milk bar) and Karlie Kloss's cookie recipe to make this. Normally, I don't add any oil in my baked goods or cooking - I've never even bought a bottle until a couple of days ago! - but I decided to give it a try. I also don't have any measuring cups so everything was eye-balled, as per usual, but I think the cookies turned out really well! They're a little crisper than I'm used to but I guess that's the effect of oil in heat - things get "fried". My interpretation involved almond flour, steel cut oats, cacao nibs, chocolate chips, roasted silvered almonds, roasted walnut pieces, dried cranberries, flax eggs, grapeseed oil, bit of applesauce, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Sounds like a weird list of ingredients, but hey, the cookies turned out well. I probably should have added more almond flour instead of oats to make the cookies less crunchy but I'm growing to like the crisp texture.)
Snack:
Warm flaxseed milk w/cinnamon, chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookie
(Mmm, warm milk and a cookie.)
Dinner:
Swiss chard, pineapple, mango, spinach, kale, lime, cayenne pepper & yerba mate tea smoothie
Late night flatmate bonding snack:
Chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookie (2)
(And this is why I hate baking. I just keep on eating and eating my baked goods.)

No comments :

Post a Comment